Tuesday 17 September 2013

Politics

I have no interest in politics whatsoever, I never really got introduced to it and even now I don't really understand it. Despite this everyone seems to think it's a good idea to shove it in our faces now we're almost old enough to vote. It's kinda overwhelming and none of it really 'goes in'. 
We do have the option for taking politics at A-Level but what I don't understand is how we've been through 12 years of education without being taught anything political at all but now it's suddenly a big deal! Some politicians came into our assembly the other day and long story short, the EU is killing babies. How the fuck did a debate about the EU end up talking about killing babies?! Perhaps if I'd been taught any politics at all I could have made the link. The speakers, who I feel sorry for, were talking as if we know what they're talking about; sure there are students who love politics and understand it but for the majority of us it just doesn't make sense. I find it frustrating that they made the entire sixth form attend this compulsory assembly yet don't even teach us the basics. Maybe that's what citizenship's for but I've never been properly taught citizenship so how would I know?!
Everybody's encouraging 18 year olds not to waste their vote but none of us know what we're voting for! I occasionally watch Question Time with my dad but that's the extent of my politics knowledge and none of it even makes sense!


Basically, we should be taught about politics well before we need to get involved so we have a good judgement and some experience which contributes to all our futures. 



Sorry I rant so much about school but I'm there for about 30 hours a week so it's kinda a big part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment